Monday 21 May 2007

Did God use XP or Scrum?

I was wandering around my house in a sleepy haze this morning with thoughts gently pulsating into my peripheral consciousness. I switched on the light and said to myself "Let there be light, and there was light" and then two peripheral thoughts blurred into focus at once prompting me to rummage through my wife's academic books (she's a teacher of Religion) and read through the first chapter of the Jeudo-Christian Old Testament.

Jokes aside about developer's egos it is quite clear that God used iterative development (or creation). Give the first chapter of Genesis a read for the compelling evidence.

In fact I think there is a clear case for claiming God was a YAGNI type of mono-deity as he creates light on day one but doesn't introduce the Sun until day four (verse 16: "God made two great lights--the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night.") and though I've personally never worked on a project of that scale I can safely guess that there was some serious refactoring going on there! This also shows that the Creator has a real talent for deciding what the next most important thing should be.

Some of the more observant out there may have noticed that God was also using a bit of Behaviour Driven Development but being God he uses "Let there be" rather than "Should" before each one of his tests.

You may be wary of reading quite so much into the text but I think it's safe to say there was no BUFD going and can you imagine it if there was: on the first day he drew up the requirements, on the second day he wrote the design document, on the third day he finally stared, on the fourth day he realised that he'd forgotten the light and had to submit a change request...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
West Malling, Kent, United Kingdom
I am a ThoughtWorker and general Memeologist living in the UK. I have worked in IT since 2000 on many projects from public facing websites in media and e-commerce to rich-client banking applications and corporate intranets. I am passionate and committed to making IT a better world.